Battlefield 5 players can download the massive new Tides of War update on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
The new update is accompanied by downtime on each platform, as well as a lengthy list of patch notes.
The downtime kicks off on PC at 9am GMT, followed by PS4 server maintenance at 10 UK time and finally, Xbox One offline time at 11am.
Server maintenance is expected to last for an hour on each platform, although sometimes these maintenance periods are extended.
The Tides of War update was originally supposed to launch on December 4, but was delayed after DICE discovered an issue.
It’s hardly surprising given the number of changes the update makes across the board.
The update is accompanied by pages and pages of patch notes, including details of the new map, practice range feature and more.
Express Online has picked out the top issue fixes and changes below, although you might want to head over to the official website for the full list.
It will take you an hour to read them all, so at least you’ll be occupied during the downtime.
In our newly added Practice Range, you’ll be able to get familiar with various weapons and vehicles that Battlefield V has to offer.
You can join the Practice Range either alone to test your skills or with your squad to practice and have fun together. The activities differ a bit depending on if you’re playing alone or with friends, so make sure to try out both!
In the Practice Range you’ll be able to:
• Explore the base class weapons offered and find your favorite, learn their spray patterns and practice aiming, flicking, and turning accuracy.
• Practice flying a fighter or a bomber and take out enemy planes or bomb targets.
Top Issue Fixes and Changes
• Fixed a bug where weapons would stay locked even if the player had reached the required level to obtain them.
• Improvements for the issue involving infinite loading screens. Should be drastically reduced with this update.
• Fixed an issue where vehicle passenger gunner turret animations would not align with where the player was aiming.
• Players no longer get into a soft hang when viewing assignments in-game.
• Made tweaks to the Conquest Soft Catch-up mechanics. The catch-up will now only be activated when the losing team is very far behind instead of rounds that are fairly close. We think that this will make matches more fair in general, while at the same time making the matches a bit more exciting if the skill gap between the teams is too big.
Top Issue Fixes and Changes cont…
• We are adjusting the amount of ammunition given to airplane forward firing machine guns and cannons. With fast resupply we feel like we can reduce the ammo in each weapon so attrition becomes a factor over a long period of flying. This also allows us to use ammo load as a balancing mechanic for some weapons like the 8x LMGs on the Spitfire or the explosive cannon rounds on the BF109.
• Airplane Zooming in 1P will now give 2.5x zoom, allowing for superior scouting of the battlefield and aiming at long range or small targets. This should help planes like fighters from be more connected to the ground combat.
• A reduction to the damage airplane parts take from LMGs and a buff to the health of the engine of airplanes means that dogfights should no longer be determined by an almost guaranteed part disable. Players will have to focus fire or they will need to equip higher caliber, but lower rate of fire weapons to do effective part damage. This should deepen the experience in dogfighting and plane customization.
• The Stuka 37mm cannons have been adjusted to be more effective in direct fire against vehicles and less effective in splash against infantry. This brings them more in line with their original intent. Additionally a delay on dropping bombs that was unique to the Stuka has been cut from 0.3 sec to 0.1 sec (there’s an arm on this bomber that swings down to drop the bomb, we sped that up).This should make bombing from the Stuka more accurate.
• The 8x MG specialization on the Spitfire has a new overheat behavior. These weapons offer great burst damage, but begin to overheat quickly, with their rate of fire dropping substantially in sustained fire.
• The BF109’s Minengeschoss has seen a rebalance towards its intended role. The weapon now performs similarly to a single default cannon against fighters, but has seen a damage reduction against bombers. It retains an effective splash damage against infantry, though at a lower damage rate than previously. Combined with the increased 1P zoom, BF109s with this round should be able to make targeted strafing passes on single targets, but no longer be able to sweep an area of multiple targets.
• AA tanks were too vulnerable when engaging infantry, making them an unattractive vehicle when aircraft were not active. Reduced the damage AA tanks take to their turret to be better in line with side hits in order to make them more survivable. Their damage against infantry has also been slightly increased.
• Tweaked the JU-88 bomber to only carry one 1,000kg bomb and reduced the rate of fire when dropping the 16x50kg bombs. This ensures that the bombs have a larger spread when hitting the ground.
• Changed the Stuka damage model to be closer to bombers, to improve its intended ground attack role.
• Players occupying top gunner positions in land vehicles are now able to duck down and become somewhat protected from incoming shots. While ducking, top gunners are still able “blind-fire” the machine gun.
• The automatic spawn when round starts will be disabled in all game modes (except Final Stand). This change has been made to not force spawn players that temporary went “afk” during round transition and are not back in their seats at start.
• The icon above the bomb carriers in Airborne and Frontlines will no longer be visible. We’ve decided this based on community feedback. Note that the icon will still be visible for a brief moment on pickup as it is mentioned by audio.
• Angled damage is now better exposed to players, with a critical hit (headshot) hitmarkers playing whenever a player makes a hit at an optimal angle or against a weak part like a turret. Increased the direct hit damage of Stationary and Half Track mounted AT guns. Being exposed in these guns is a heavy disadvantage, and a higher amount of damage against tanks is required to balance the risk and reward.
• LMGs and Soldier Guns have been doing more damage to airplanes than intended. We have reduced the damage of soldier weapons against airplanes, so that they’re a threat to – but not a killer of – airplanes.
• The first version of Vehicle Customization is rolling out for all players, with skins for tanks as well as skins and nose art for airplanes. More to come in the future!
• Reworked the Panzerfaust to be less effective on rear shots on vehicles. Armor angle on vehicles now matter less, and the Panzerfaust now deals a more consistent amount of damage to vehicles. Panzerfausts also deal more systemic part damage, allowing them to be used more tactically, taking out engines, tracks and turrets, etc.